Monday 31 March 2008

Tap water

My Eco Self regularly reads the views of an attractive restaurant critic* on bottled water. Attractive restaurant critic is vehemently anti-bottled water, deducting points from his sometimes acerbic reviews for restaurants which don’t offer tap water as the first option. My Eco Self feels respect for a campaign which has been genuinely transformative in changing opinions. My Eco Self has never favoured bottled water, primarily because of the price rather than principle, but is shocked by statistics which show how many plastic bottles are non-recyclable. But if I ever meet attractive journalist I will tell him I have been transformed, utterly, by his lucid and articulate arguments. “I’m giving up bottled water,” I announce to Food Neurotic Friend. “Did you ever buy it in the first place?” he asks. I ignore his question. “I’m willing to be interviewed,” I tell him, “if you happen to bump into that food critic and he wants to profile someone who has made some eco-changes to their restaurant habits?” “I don’t think that will be the case,” he says, showing an article in which attractive restaurant critic announces his campaign is over, mission complete. “I just read that some restaurants are charging for tap water and donating to charity – do you think he knows about that?” “You’re always just that one step behind” says FNF, performing a near impossible physical feat of speaking and rolling his eyes at the same time.

No comments: