Friday 6 June 2008

Library visit


My Eco Self has joined the local library, last frequented in my early teens, to improve my environmentally friendly rating. I take out A Fine Balance, a literary masterpiece recommended by a high-brow work colleague. There is an informative notice board advertising a book group, knitting group, and local community choirs. My Eco Self is delighted to see the library runs a battery recycling scheme, a solution for My Eco Self’s secret stash. I devour the book, one of the best I’ve ever read. My Eco Self reviews the genre balance of the current books on my shelves, with a slight predilection for chick-lit, if you include the embarrassing stash in my bedside cabinet, hidden from public view. I wonder what would happen if I set up an environmental interest group, have an inaugural meeting at my house, and an attractive young man from the local allotment group is put off by the content of my bookshelves. I quickly order a copy of A Fine Balance from Amazon to permanently improve the intellectual weighting of my reading material.

No comments: