Tuesday 29 July 2008

Ordering in bulk to save packaging

My Eco Self is proud of myself for sticking to the money fast, albeit having frequently scribbled a list of things I absolutely had to have as soon as it is finished.
I decide to place a bulk supermarket order to reduce packaging waste. My order includes multiple 6-packs of tinned tomatoes, 12-pack toilet rolls, and 4kg boxes of washing powder. Unpacking the toilet rolls proves somewhat of a challenge in a flat not blessed with inventive storage solutions. Food Neurotic Friend comes round for dinner.
“Have you got any spare birthday cards?”
“Look in the cupboard,” I suggest, reminded of the reason for my self-imposed upper price limit on birthday cards; FNF is a frequent pilferer, not offering financial recompense with the frequent excuse that he has taken me on a number of VIP press evenings with a high perceived financial value.
“Why are there toilet rolls in here?”
“I’m buying in bulk” I tell him.
“Well,” he says, “I’m sure the price of toilet roll is subject to inflation, like everything else.”
“That’s not the point.”
“With you, everything is about money,” he says, slipping a couple of cards into his backpack, ever bulging with booty from My Eco Self's vegetable box, lending library and all-occasion card stash.

No comments: